Tuesday, April 1, 2008

First Vegetable Garden





Spring is in the air in Florida so Steve and I decided to plant our first vegetable garden with the boys. We figure if the boys can grow a few vegetables they would be more likely to eat them! Our adventure started out at Lowe's Garden Center and the boys got to pick out what vegetables they wanted to grow as well as a flower for color in the garden. We also picked up a few herb plants as well since I love fresh herbs. Our cart was loaded down with an array of pepper plants, tomato plants, peppermint, cilantro and parsley plants, cucumber seeds, green onion seeds, carrot seeds, bell pepper seeds and to top it all off four flower pots of flowers and not to mention the 6 bags of soil and organic plant food. The idea was to keep this garden as natural and organic as possible so we lucked out in finding organic gardening soil. As soon as we got home the boys were in high spirits and ready to plant. After 4 hours of turning the soil over, weeding and grating it was finally time to get the plants into the ground. I think the boys had more fun playing in the dirt than they did planting and watering their crop! To add the finishing touches on the new garden, we dug out Scarecrow Rosser to keep all the critters away. Speaking of critters, we have one eagle, two owls, four sand hill cranes and one raccoon who call this area home. Not to mention a couple of alligators that live in the lake and a passing red fox once in a while! Hopefully Scarecrow Rosser will do his job and keep everyone at bay! Stay tuned for more updates on the Rosser farming adventure.

5 comments:

Mamaw said...

What a lovely garden! And three supurb helpers! And good looking ones too! Do you remember when I made vegetable soup from all the goodies we grew in our garden? We had some nice gardens when you and Eliz. were little. It's a lot of fun.

Football and Fried Rice said...

wow- it so so green & beautiful there!! Good Luck with the garden! I couldn't grow anything!!

Anonymous said...

Watch out for the peppermint! I would tranfer it to a container. It is a crazy grower and can spread almost uncontrollably. It may come up next year everywhere and feel like a weed. I do love it though and would never hesitate to have a pot! I love the garden shots and hope you keep us posted through the season.

Thank for the tag :)! I just saw it and will do it this week some time. My schedule has been off balance and I am having a hard time getting to Blogland. But the tag looks fun and I always need a post idea :)!!

Football and Fried Rice said...

Thanks for the tip about Tricia. HOW exciting that she is getting this beautiful chance at life. I can't say why - but they have captivated me!! Praise God for that!

Megan said...

I found my way to your blog via my friend Andrea and just wanted to say hello!

Your boys are adorable - such a beautiful family. I've really enjoyed reading about all the great things you do together. Thanks for sharing!