Saturday, May 24, 2008

Camping Trip At Ft. Wilderness







We took the boys out to Disney Ft. Wilderness Campground last weekend to try out our new camper and boy was it an experience!!! Three boys, woods and campfires..... you get the picture. The first night out was a doozie as we were just trying to get settled in and grilling out dinner around the 10 o'clock hour was not a good start. Saturday was filled with a trip to see the movie "Prince Caspian" (which by the way is fabulous), a quick lunch and a short bike ride to the pool to cool off. Daddy Steve grilled out some yummy chicken for dinner so we could make our way to the "Chip-n-Dale Sing Along Campfire" and marshmallow roast/movie. I ask myself this time and time again, but why is food that is prepared outside and eaten outside always taste so good? With dinner out of the way, we made our way to the campfire/sing along with a bag full of marshmallows and skewers for roasting them. We had to lay down the law to the boys that the skewers were NOT for sword fighting with your brothers. That fell on deaf ears! With very sticky mouths and hands we managed to get a quick photo with Chip-n-Dale . The movie that was showing was Meet The Robinson's so we opted to go on a family bike ride instead of watching the movie. By the way if you camp, this is the best campground to take kids to as there is so much for families to do. Each night they have this campfire sing along and when it gets dark the show Disney movies on a huge outdoor movie screen, kind of like a drive in movie theater, except you take your blankets, chairs and pillows and sit on the ground. After our long bike ride we went down to the beach to watch Disney's Electric Light Parade on the lake and then it was off to bed! I was so tired I didn't think ANYTHING could wake me up!!! I just knew I could sleep through a hurricane....... until some little black bird nested in a tree outside the camper. I don't think the sun was even up yet! You don't need alarm clocks when you go camping......you have birds who do that job very well. Sunday was check out day so we packed things up quickly so we could go watch the Disney Iron Man Triathlon participants. The race began and ended at Ft. Wilderness, so we got to see the first 4 male competitors and 3 women competitors win the race. What an inspiration those athletes are! We asked the boys who might like to do that one day and Luke (my 5 yr old) was the only one who said he would, Andrew (my 9 yr old) thought we were crazy!

4 comments:

Football and Fried Rice said...

FUN!!!! We love camping too :=) it looks a little hotter there in Florida than we prefer though! Good times!

Megan said...

What an awesome vacation! Wish we had something like that here. I guess the mountains and forests will have to do... a few Disney characters and a parade sure wouldn't hurt though!

mommy24treasures said...

Oh we love ft wilderness~!

I created my blog with a scrapbook type technique. I have a srcapbook program but alot of people make their own for free with scrapblog.com check it out, and I could help you load it.
Connie

Anonymous said...

Meredith,

I see these pictures and miss my little men, all grown up too quickly! It looks fun and adventurous for the little guys and you too! PS Happy Birthday to your son!